Part of the Accident Claims Team
Ben is an Associate Solicitor in the Complex Injury department at Bolt Burdon Kemp. He joined the firm as a newly qualified solicitor in September 2013. Since then he has developed considerable expertise in personal injury claims.
Ben specialises in accident claims, in particular those involving road traffic accidents and accidents at work. Ben represents both adults and children, all of whom have suffered life-changing injuries. Ben has a keen interest in acting for those who have sustained multiple orthopaedic injuries and amputations. He also handles fatal accident claims.
Since joining Bolt Burdon Kemp, Ben has secured a large number of settlements. Notable cases that he has worked on include:
- Representing a gentleman who was severely injured in a motorcycle accident. After undergoing in excess of 25 operations in an effort to save his injured leg, Ben’s client and his surgeons made the decision to amputate. The client went on to make an excellent recovery with the use of prosthetics. A settlement in excess of £2.5 million was agreed at a meeting with the Defendant’s representatives.
- Representing a woman who sustained life-changing pelvic and spinal injuries after being run over by a van. Following numerous operations, Ben’s client was left with permanent mobility issues and continence issues. After gathering all of the necessary medical evidence, Ben settled this claim for just under £500,000 and the client was very happy with the result.
- Ben represented an employee of a crane company who was involved in a serious accident at work. He suffered a crushing injury to his hand, which resulted in the partial amputation of three of his fingers. Ben achieved a swift settlement of £210,000 for his client, which compensated him for his various losses including his disadvantage on the labour market and future prosthetic costs.
- Acting for a motorcyclist who was involved in a collision with a van, which pulled out of a side road. Ben’s client suffered multiple serious injuries, including a brachial plexus injury, which prevented him from pursuing his career as a trader. Ben obtained regular interim payments for this client as well as a sizeable settlement of £700,000.
- In a complex accident at work claim, Ben represented an employee who fell backwards down a flight of stairs when a banister came away from a wall. The client landed heavily on his back, which exacerbated a pre-existing hip condition. Ben negotiated a favourable settlement of £59,000 for the client within 18 months of being instructed.
In addition to his casework, Ben attends meetings held by the Limbless Association; a charity that provides hands-on support for amputees and their families. Bolt Burdon Kemp are on the charity’s legal panel. Ben has helped raise money for them by organising a Six Peaks Challenge.
Ben provides commentary for the press about topical issues affecting injured claimants. He has been quoted in The Telegraph, The Independent, The Mirror, The Daily Express, The Times and The Daily Mail. He has also written articles for the Solicitors Journal, The Carer UK, HR Magazine and Safety Management Magazine. He has also appeared on BBC news commenting on potential changes to the law concerning the labelling of food with allergen information.
Ben is an accredited Senior Litigator with the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and is Coordinator of APIL’s Transport special interest group.