Accident Claims

Our specialist accident claims solicitors have over 30 years experience in representing clients who have experienced serious injury, going about their daily lives, whether on the road, at work, through environmental issues or pursuing hobbies.

What is an accident claim?

If you or your loved one has been involved in an accident, it may be possible to make a compensation claim for the injuries and financial losses suffered as a result. A personal injury claim will be successful if we can prove that another individual or an organisation is at least partly responsible for what happened.

Why choose Bolt Burdon Kemp?

  • Accident specialists
    Our team of expert accident specialists have over 30 years’ experience in achieving outstanding results for our clients. We also have access to some of the best medical experts to help support your case.
  • No Win, No Fee
    If your claim is not successful, you may not have to pay any legal fees under a ‘no win no fee’ agreement, as long as you stick to the terms of the agreement. Find out about the different funding options available.
  • Rehabilitation & support services
    We work with partner organisations to ensure our clients have access to the best rehabilitation and support services so recovery can start as quickly as possible after injury.
  • Personal, bespoke service
    We can visit you at home or at hospital for a no obligation chat about your claim. You can also contact us by email, phone or text, at whatever time is best for you.
  • Highly recommended
    We are accredited by the Law Society and Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). We are also endorsed and recommended by organisations such as HeadwayChild Brain Injury Trust and the Spinal Injuries Association.

The Legal 500 guide described Bolt Burdon Kemp as a:

          “dedicated and highly specialised team” with “fantastic expertise” and “significant experience”.


  • "Ben was really helpful and explained all the information as many times as I needed. He also went to the extra measure of coming to visit me and go through the information with me. In my circumstances and how many years my claim took to settle I needed constant support to keep the case going strong. I appreciate all he did to help conclude this case. He is a credit to your company and anyone would be lucky to work with someone that is very professional but also understanding."

    Laura Bartlett

  • "I received the letter from Susan with your comments and the cheque today, thank you, I do appreciate your kind gesture and again thank you, also could you please thank Susan for her undoubted hard work to recover the costs. I am very happy with the outcome, I always stated that 50k was my target and having settled with my sister and yourselves (and your generous gesture) that is what we have attained."  

    Clive Gates

  • "Dear Abbie, I'd like to thank you for all the time and hard work you've put into my case. It has been a pleasure working with you and you have made the whole process pretty much effortless for me."


  • "I would like to send my thanks for all your hard work and efforts on my recent personal injury claim, which recently settled. You were extremely understanding of my personal circumstances and worked with me to make sure that the best possible outcome was achieved. I believe it was in this case. You made sure that I was offered both physiotherapy and psychotherapy after my accident. You worked extremely hard on my case, and I believe you deserve the highest praise. I was really not keen to pursue the case in the courts, and given this restriction I think you did really well ensuring the highest offer was agreed."

    Mrs M

  • I was recommended to contact BBK by a friend, but felt irresolute about making that initial call.  I needn't have.  From the onset Ben and Hannah did the most amazing job of breaking down and explaining every stage and process with empathy and sensitivity.  Throughout, they emphasised to not hesitate getting in touch should I have any questions or queries.  Their approachable, down-to-earth and professional nature made it easy for me to develop a supportive and trusting relationship with them both.  I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of work and dedication they put into my case, and for which, I will always be grateful. My injuries are life-altering, but what Ben and Hannah have done is provided me with closure, along with the opportunity and possibility of building a positive future. 'Thank You' doesn't really feel as though it carries enough weight to show my gratitude for all their hard work and belief, but "Thank you both, you are amazing".

    Olivia Powell

  • "Ben was brilliant, and I found him to be professional, reliable and extremely courteous throughout. He was always easy to get in contact with, and got back to any messages I left very promptly. He seemed to always be on top of everything, and provided updates regularly."

    Emma Williams

  • "Thank you for your help and support over the last 3 years. Karen and Jo and Eve all worked hard to achieve a final settlement. I really appreciate all the hard work to finally get there. Thanks once again to all at Bolt Burdon Kemp."

    Hazel Rabin

  • "I can’t thank you enough for everything you and your team have done over the years and for keeping me at arm’s length from all the issues that I know would have otherwise overwhelmed me. As I always said, this process was never about the money but to make sure the driver was, in my eyes’ held to account for his actions.  However, the damages you secured for me are genuinely life changing and, because of that, I feel positive that I can start to put this all behind me now."

    Mike Kininmonth

  • During the time we worked with your company everyone we worked with gave us 100% .  I can’t think of anything that could have been done better or differently.  Hannah and Josh were excellent in both attitude and attention.  We couldn’t have asked for more.  I think you exceeded our expectations and on behalf of myself and my family would once again like to thank everyone for all their hard work.


  • We had a different firm before who were rubbish and from the minute you took over everything was looked after and it was no longer a struggle.  Ben was excellent, incredibly helpful and supportive.  He did what he said he would do.  I dealt with him for over 3 years and feel he is part of my family.  Everyone treated us with care, now it is finished I miss all of you.


  • Thank you for the manner in which my case was dealt with and for your guidance and support throughout. Not an especially comfortable process for me but the better for your clarity and professionalism and excellent communication.

    Alan Smith

  • "We wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work and it really was refreshing working with someone who was so understanding and professional. We really appreciate all of your help on Dan's case so thanks again. Obviously we are very happy with Dan's settlement as it is a massive weight off of our shoulders."

    Danny Mason

  • "I have for more than a year enjoyed the privilege of working alongside Jo Chapman in a difficult fatal accident case in which we separately represented the infant and adult claimants. That we achieved such a great settlement at round table conference on 6 March 2012 is down to her remarkable understanding of the strength of good evidence and her skills of persuasion. I can say without hesitation that whilst also a formidable adversary for any defendant, she is a fabulous person to work with and I shall miss our regular brainstorming sessions."


  • I am writing this e-mail to you to express my sincere thanks for the great support your organisation gave to us  during this long “journey”.  I would have to say both Josh and Ben have been wonderful with the support, understanding and communication over the period.  They faced the time difference challenges when we had to Skype at odd hours without any problems whatsoever.  An experience we will never forget. A big thank you to everyone at your organisation.


  • "We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your efforts in bringing Charlie’s case to a successful conclusion. We have dealt with a few solicitors in the past but none have been as proactive, efficient and organised as you! The knowledge that Charlie’s case was in the hands of such a competent solicitor helped reduce the stress involved considerably. We will have no hesitation in recommending your services in the future."

    Irene & Andrew Ridley

  • Michael was always in regular contact throughout and positive.  I always knew where we were with the claim.  Everything went smoothly.


  • The service I received was perfect.  Ben was amazing, he was understanding and helpful and kept me fully informed throughout.


  • Josh was really nice to me and very patient.  The service I received was brilliant and I would highly recommend the firm, particularly to anyone suffering from the same pain condition that I have – CRPS.  Susie in the costs team was also brilliant.

    Richard Shearman

  • "I am writing to express my thanks for all the hard work you Cheryl and Tracy put into achieving a satisfactory outcome to my case. From your first contact I felt at ease and was impressed by the professionalism shown during the process. I hope not to need your services again in the future, but rest assured if I or members of my family were to be placed in a similar situation you would be the first person I call."

    Joss Birchwhite

  • Mr. Pepper continued to give the superior service that we had come to expect from your firm. His updates to us on the progress of the claim were timely accurate and courteous. We very much felt that he was 'on our side'. Having set out all legal scenarios for us we found his advice in all matters to be sound and logical. I found Mr. Pepper's approach and attitude to our claim to have been of an exceptionally high standard. He is diligent and conscientious with a firm grasp of the law and an ability to convey often complex matters in an easy to understand way. He is to be commended for the manner in which he brought our case to completion and for the compensation he secured on our behalf. Please convey our sincere thanks to him. To receive the interim payments when we did was very much appreciated. We also appreciated the way our potential liability for medical expenses was explained and handled. In conclusion we can say that we were extremely happy with Bolt Burdon Kemp in general and with the solicitors assigned to us in particular. We would have no hesitation in recommending your firm to our friends and colleagues.

    Derek Brennan

  • "I would just like to thank you for your hard work and all the help and guidance you have given me from beginning to end. You made a very difficult and complicated situation very easy and totally stress free. I do appreciate all you have done for me and am very grateful. Thank you very much."

    Michael Phillips

  • Ben brought the claim to fruition in a diligent, timely and courteous manner. His professional and measured approached allowed me to make the correct decisions based on his expert advise, in which he set out all the legal options in user friendly language. I felt that he really was on my side and accordingly got me the best settlement available.

    Lorna Brennan

  • "I would like to say thank you for all your help and assistance, you are very good at your job and you kept me informed on a regular basis. At all times I was very happy and confident in you and you made this claim very easy to see through to the end. I will certainly recommend you personally and your company."


  • "I just wanted to say a huge big thank you to you (Cheryl Abrahams) and Tracy (Smith) for all your hard work on my case. I am delighted with the result and I am relieved that the case is over and I can move on. You were efficient, professional and clear in your advice which I really appreciated. From the start I felt confident and I knew that my case was in safe hands. Thank you so much! I will not hesitate to recommend you and your firm in the future."

    Toni Lawrence

  • "From the initial point of contact, the first handshake and "Hello" to the conclusion of the case, Jo Chapman has been fantastic. Jo could not have been a better representative for BBK. We were successful but regardless of the outcome, I felt that Jo had put in a good fight for us. Professional in approach, clear and concise in explaining the process for a layman such as myself to understand. All done with great understanding, warmth and empathy."

    Dan Nguyen

  • "It is a great relief to have achieved such an outcome...Everyone involved has offered great support and personal service and we are very grateful. We were recommended to you and clearly with good reason."

    N & S McAuley

  • “Cheryl was fantastic and I would have to say her whole team (lawyers and support) were just great. I couldn’t have asked for a more professional and empathic team”.

    Mike Kininmonth

  • Tracy is a lovely lady, so nice, a beautiful woman inside and out, polite and kind and so happy to just chat to me normally, which I really appreciated at a difficult time.


  • "After an accident at my work place I was left incapacitated requiring surgery and eventually unable to return to employment. I contacted Bolt Burdon and Kemp and was invited to go and discuss my case with Cheryl Abrahams, one of the Solicitors. I was extremly pleased with the service provided from start to finish. I was kept updated at each stage of my claim & whenever I requested information I had a reply within a day,more often within minutes of my query. I did not have to pay any money at all as this was major concern for me as I was not working. Cheryl explained everything very clearly putting me at complete ease. Now my case has been won, I will receive all the money awarded and definitely no hidden fees. A totally professional service from begining to end with complete support at all times."

    MP Life Changing Injury

  • "I can't tell you how grateful I am for all your hard work and perseverance. The transfer was successful and I am over the moon. I'd also like to extend my acknowledgements to your team as I know they will have worked very hard on my case too. I wish you all the best and if I ever have anymore accidents (let's hope not!), I'll know who to call!"

    Rex Fearon

  • "Having developed numerous health problems following a work place accident and then being unceremoniously dismissed on capability grounds whilst still receiving treatment for my injuries, I contacted Bolt Burden Kemp.  The company had been recommended to me and I was immediately impressed with all the professional advice and help that I received.  My Solicitor, Ben Pepper, and his assistant, Tracy Smith, were always extremely helpful and considerate during this difficult time, both helping me to navigate the process of gathering all the necessary evidence and drafting all the legal paperwork towards developing the strongest case possible.  They helped arrange invaluable appointments with numerous medical professionals, consistently updated me during what can feel like a daunting process and always provided me with conscientious and essential legal advice.  I am extremely grateful for all their help towards seeking financial support for my future treatment and hopeful recovery."

    Mr B. Jones

  • "I have been most impressed by the professionalism of the staff at Bolt Burdon Kemp. Cheryl Abrahams and Tracy Smith have been so good at contacting me and keeping me updated with all the details and information I needed. You have made this awkward time seem much easier and I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work and I'm so very grateful and happy with the settlement I received. Thanks again."

    Billy Lewis

  • "You always kept me up-to-date with your actions and explained everything fully to me, and I always felt I was in the best hands - and not to mention the patience and respect you gave me."

    Iris Olley

  • Niamh went above and beyond to keep me informed, calling me abroad, accommodating my turbulent lifestyle, Niamh was fantastic, she exceeded my expectations.

    Natalie L

Read more testimonials


How do I make an accident claim?

Every accident claim is unique and we will carefully review your case to fully understand:

  • how your injury has impacted upon you
  • whether a person or organisation is responsible and
  • whether we can help you win compensation.

Here are the five steps for making a claim:

1. Get in touch

For a free initial consultation, contact our accident claims specialists on 020 7288 4800 or complete our online accident claims contact form.

2. Funding options

If we think you have a strong case, we’ll find a way of funding it for you. This is likely to be on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis with nothing to pay up front, but you may have pre-existing legal expenses insurance which may also help.

3. Obtaining records

We’ll request access to your medical records and accident reports to help us identify the severity of your injury, its impact on your life and assess whether anyone’s wrongdoing may have caused the injury.

4. Letter of claim

We’ll then draft a letter of claim to the Defendant detailing the allegations, and the specific injuries and losses you have sustained. Depending on the response, we will consider whether you need to bring your claim in court.

5. Expert opinion

If the claim progresses, we’ll ask medical and/or accident reconstruction experts to prepare reports about your case. This will help us to value your claim.

How much personal injury compensation will I receive?

If your personal injury claim is successful, you will be entitled to compensation for the following:

Pain, suffering and loss of amenity

You will receive compensation for pain and suffering caused by the injury itself and the effect your injury has on your ability to do the things you did before the accident (known as loss of amenity). This can include hobbies and past times.
Your entitlement to compensation for this aspect of your claim will depend on the nature and extent of your injuries; how serious the injuries are and how long your symptoms are expected to last. This part of the claim is assessed with the assistance of the best medical experts in the field, combined with our own knowledge and research.

Financial losses

You will also receive compensation for your financial losses and expenses – both past and future. Your financial losses are assessed according to the evidence we obtain. This can include loss of earnings, cost of medication and treatment, travel costs, the cost of adaptations to your home and the time spent on caring for you because of your injuries. In terms of calculating loss of earnings, it may be necessary to instruct financial experts to assist. It’s our role to assess what evidence is needed and obtain specialist help to prove your loss.

Who will pay my legal costs?

If we think you have a strong enough case, we’ll find a way to fund your claim. The three main funding options are:

1. A ‘no win no fee’ agreement otherwise known as a Conditional Fee Agreement
2. Legal Expenses Insurance
3. Paying privately

Learn more about the different funding options available.

The costs process

After you win your personal injury claim, the Defendant usually pays most of your legal costs, but deciding how much the Defendant must pay can be a lengthy process. We have a specialist team who work independently of our personal injury solicitors to ensure the costs process is dealt with speedily and to your advantage.

What are the time limits for accident claims?

Personal injury claims must be brought within a certain time. This is known as the limitation period. The time limits are strict and set out in the Limitation Act 1980.

Most personal injury claims must be issued at court within three years of the date of the accident. For children, their personal injury claim must be issued at court no later than their 21st birthday. There are exceptions:

  • If there was a time delay before you became aware that you have suffered an injury, for example if you developed a condition contracted by exposure to chemicals at work
  • If, as an adult, you did not have the mental capacity to instruct a lawyer to make a claim. The clock doesn’t start ticking until you have regained capacity.
  • If your accident occurred overseas, on a plane or a boat where the time limits may be different.

In most instances, if you do not comply with the limitation period that applies to your claim, you are likely to lose the chance to claim. It is therefore important that you do not delay in making your personal injury claim as soon as you become aware that you might have one. Even if your injury happened more than three years ago, there may still be a way to make a claim.

What happens if my claim is successful?

Protecting your means-tested benefits

Your financial circumstances change when you receive personal injury compensation. As a result, your means-tested benefits may be at risk. You can protect your entitlement to your benefits by setting up a personal injury trust. Our specialist personal injury solicitors will be happy to advise if this is applicable to you.

Investment advice

Investing your personal injury compensation requires careful thought and specialist advice. We work closely with reputable and professional financial advisors with extensive experience and knowledge of working alongside those who have received personal injury compensation. We can make a personal recommendation and a referral to an appropriate adviser on request.


In many claims for personal injury compensation, your current medical situation and quality of life may be improved by receiving appropriate medical treatment, such as surgery, physiotherapy, counselling or care. This is best given at the earliest opportunity, rather than waiting for the claim to be settled. We have arrangements with providers of medical and other rehabilitation services to get you back on your feet as soon as possible.

Successful claims with Bolt Burdon Kemp

Joshua Hughes from Bolt Burdon Kemp

Seven-figure settlement for motorcyclist
Our client was stationary on a motorbike at traffic lights when a 4×4 vehicle came up behind him and ran him over. Our client suffered orthopaedic injuries and was briefly concussed. The accident prevented him from reaching his full career and earning potential in the City of London. We won the case and negotiated £1.25 million in damages.

Read More

Additional information on Accident Claims

Reasons you might need an expert solicitor:

  • If you or a loved one have been involved in a road accident as a driver, pedestrian, passenger, cyclist or motorcyclist
  • If your child has been involved in a different type of accident, such as a serious playground accident or an accident at school or nursery
  • If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident at work such as falling from a height, an object has fallen on you or your limb has been caught in an unguarded or defective machine
  • If you or your loved one has developed an illness or disease through their work
  • If you or a loved one have been involved in a different type of accident, for example a fall in a public place