As a pedestrian, being involved in a road traffic accident can cause serious personal injury because you do not have the same protection as when driving or riding in another vehicle.
Please ensure that you always use crossings and keep an eye on what the traffic is doing. If you are walking along a road, walk against the flow of traffic and if it is dark wear bright or reflective clothing, if possible. Always be aware of what the traffic and other pedestrians are doing and remember to apply the Highway Code at all times.
But if you are injured in a road traffic accident, as a pedestrian hit by a car, for instance, we may be able to help you claim compensation. If you can, you should try gather as many details as possible about the person and the vehicle involved before seeking specialist legal advice about your claim.
Even if there are no witnesses it is still sometimes possible to make a successful pedestrian accident claim. And if you trip or slip on the road pavement because of it’s uneven surface, or maybe because oil, ice, or leaves have not been cleared, we can help too.
When you get in touch with us we will give you free, impartial advice about what you can do next. We’re here to guide you through the process of making a pedestrian injury claim, offering around-the-clock support to help you through your claim.
What are the main causes of pedestrian accident claims?
Unfortunately, a pedestrian accident can occur at almost any time – and often in a split-second. Of course, sometimes pedestrians are at fault for what happened, perhaps due to not looking properly when preparing to cross a busy road.
But we deal with pedestrian injury compensation claims where someone else was either wholly or partly to blame for the accident. And this could be due to:
- Driving or riding too quickly
- Being distracted
- Not paying attention
- Failing to understand the rules of the road
- Driving or riding while under the influence of drink or drugs
Am I eligible to make a pedestrian injury claim?
If, as a pedestrian, you were hit by a car or suffered an injury in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault, in the last three years, you could be eligible to make a claim for compensation. You can also claim on behalf of a child under the age of 18, if they were injured because of an accident.
We know it can seem like a daunting process but we’re here to offer free, confidential advice on whether you or a loved one have grounds to make a claim.
How can making a pedestrian injury compensation claim help?
We know that making a pedestrian accident claim can’t turn back the clock and change what happened. But if you are successful, the compensation you receive can help you get your life back on track.
It can be used to cover any loss of earnings you might have suffered if you have been forced to miss work due to your injuries. It can also help to pay for any medical treatment you may have needed or make alterations to your home or vehicle to aid your recovery.
And if your accident happened on a dangerous stretch of road, making a pedestrian injury claim may encourage lessons to be learned. For example, it might prompt the installation of additional traffic management measures to try and reduce the risk of someone else experiencing what you have had to go through.
How does the claim process work?
If you are thinking about contacting us about making a pedestrian accident claim, rest assured we follow a simple process:
- A free, no-obligation chat where we take the time to listen to your story and get an understanding of what’s happened.
- We’ll tell you if we think you have grounds to make a claim. If we do, then you can decide if you would like to work with us.
- We’ll request any documents and signatures we need from you, and we will come to an agreement on how your claim will be funded.
- We’ll inform the defendant that you intend to make a claim and we’ll gather evidence to support your case.
- The defendant will deny or accept responsibility and your claim will either be heard in front of a judge or settled through negotiation, all of which we will take care of on your behalf.
Why choose Bolt Burdon Kemp for your pedestrian injury claim?
Our pedestrian accident lawyers can help you claim the compensation you deserve, and there are many reasons why you can count on us:
- Experience: We’ve been doing this for more than 35 years and have dealt with numerous pedestrian accident claims in that time.
- ‘No win, no fee’: We can take your case on a basis that means in the unlikely event you are unsuccessful, there’ll be nothing for you to pay.
- Real people: Our pedestrian accident lawyers offer the human touch, and they won’t confuse you with unnecessary legal jargon.
- Trusted partners: We’re proud to join forces with the likes of Brake and RoadPeace.
- Accredited: We’re members of the Law Society’s Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme and every year we’re assessed and awarded in line with the Lexcel practice management standards.
- Awards: We maintain a consistently high rating in both The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
- Testimonials: You can see our glowing reviews from hundreds of clients that we’ve helped in the past.