Victoria is a Partner and Head of the Spinal Injury Team.
Victoria specialises in acting for adults and children who have suffered spinal injuries either as a result of personal injury (including road traffic accidents, accidents at work, occupier’s liability claims and fatal accidents) or medical negligence involving both NHS and private clinicians.
Victoria is cited as an “up and coming star” in the personal injury sector by Chambers and Partners 2024. Her feature in the guide highlights that “she is very personal, gets on very well with her clients and is very empathetic with them. She is an excellent lawyer with very good judgement and is very thorough“.
Victoria is featured in the Legal 500 2024 who describe her as “one of the most talented solicitors in the field. She is head of spinal injury and combines warmth of personality and the utmost sympathy with the client with a fearless and pragmatic no-nonsense manner with defendants.” and “blends tactical acumen with compassion in a way that is unique”
Victoria has experience in representing clients who have sustained paraplegic injuries and also represented clients who have higher level tetraplegic injuries. Victoria is mindful of the secondary complications suffered by those who are spinally injured such as neuropathic pain, pressure ulcers and bowel and bladder complications. Victoria also has an interest in SCI women’s health.
Victoria is passionate about ensuring that her clients receive compensation that properly compensates them for their losses and enjoys the challenge of calculating and proving unusual losses. Wherever possible Victoria aims to obtain early interim payments and rehabilitation for her clients and is experienced in assisting clients with identifying suitable properties for adaption to their individual needs, liaising with case managers and setting up care regimes and therapeutic support.
Victoria’s cases of note include:
- Acting on behalf of a Claimant who sustained a spinal cord injury following a road traffic accident. Victoria was able to work collaboratively with the insurers and obtain significant interim payments in excess of £500,000. Overall settlement was agreed at £10 million to include provision for future loss of earnings, future care and accommodation and future private medical therapy costs.
- Acting on behalf of a Claimant who sustained a spinal cord injury following a road traffic accident where liability was denied and arguments of contributory negligence raised including failure to wear a seatbelt and prior knowledge that the driver had been drinking. Settlement was achieved at £3 million.
- Acting on behalf of a Claimant who sustained a spinal cord injury and below the knee amputation following a fall at work. Settlement was achieved at £4.5 million.
- Achieving a lump sum settlement in excess of £3 million for a below the knee amputation as a result of a motorcycle accident. Liability was disputed. The settlement, which was achieved at a JSM, included provision for loss of earnings (including a significant loss of chance claim), prosthetics and future care and accommodation.
- Acting on behalf of a Claimant in a liability disputed claim involving a fall from height. The Claimant sustained a brain injury in addition to multiple orthopaedic (including spinal) injuries. Following a settlement meeting the case settled for a six figure sum.
- Acting on behalf of a Claimant injured in a road traffic accident where liability was heavily disputed and subsequently settled at trial [Bennett –v- Southwell  EWHC 2382 (QB)].
Victoria is an avid supporter of several spinal injury charities; she has run the London marathon in support of the Spinal Injuries Association and volunteers with Horatio’s Garden, regularly attending the garden at the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. Victoria is also a fan of wheelchair rugby and supports the Stoke Mandeville Maulers.
Victoria also volunteers for her local branch of the National Childbirth Trust (NCT) and has successfully set up a local scheme providing packs of emergency supplies to families in need.
Association of Personal Injury Lawyers