Help with finding housing | Bolt Burdon Kemp Help with finding housing | Bolt Burdon Kemp

Find lawyer icon
Find your Lawyer

Free call back
Contact us
Round the clock support
Won't shy away from difficult cases
Committed to swiftly progressing claims

Help with finding housing

Back to Military Claims Insights

When you confirm you’re leaving the armed forces, you will have up to 12 months to find a new place to live.

The first thing you will want to think about is where you are going to live. You may have had to relocate to an area where you don’t know many people in which case you might decide to move back to where your friends and family are based.

You will need to think about finding work and might decide to live in or close to a large city where you are more likely to find a job. As a general rule you will find that prices are cheaper in parts of Northern England whereas London and the South East are more expensive.

You might also want to think about what schools and facilities are nearby.

If you decide you want to try living in a new area it is a good idea to spend time there and have a wander around to work  out what the advantages and disadvantages might be of living there.

House and rental prices can vary dramatically on what part of the country you live in. You can get an idea of how much house prices are likely to be in your area here and how much you are likely to pay for rent.

Routes for finding housing

You will probably find your new home through one of these routes:

For further advice on civilian housing options you can contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office.

You can find help with finding housing through Veterans’ Gateway and Shelter.

Spaces provides an accommodation placement service for single personnel being discharged.

Haig Housing Trust is the largest UK charity providing housing to veterans. It has helped provide over 1500 properties for ex-service personnel across the UK and covers 50 local authorities.

Social Housing

Social housing is provided by housing associations or a local council. It is intended to be more affordable than private renting and usually provides a more secure, long-term tenancy.

There is high demand for social housing and so you may be placed on a waiting list. You will be prioritised if you suffer with a serious disability or medical condition or if you are at danger of becoming homeless.

Shelter can provide advice and support on applying for social housing.

Other help available

We’re here to help you.

Want to talk to one of our experienced lawyers? We can call when it suits you for a no-obligation, strictly confidential chat.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser.

This site (and many others) provides a limited experience on unsupported browsers and not all functionality will work correctly or look its best.