Accessing Education | Bolt Burdon Kemp Accessing Education | Bolt Burdon Kemp

Find lawyer icon
Find your Lawyer

Free call back
Contact us
Round the clock support
Won't shy away from difficult cases
Committed to swiftly progressing claims

Depending on the job you were doing while you were serving in the military and what you want to do once you leave, you may need specific qualifications. Most jobs you are looking at will have a job description which says what qualifications are essential for the role and what qualifications are desirable – that is to say qualifications that are not essential but are helpful to have and might put you at an advantage of getting the role if you are being compared to another candidate.

While you are going through resettlement you will be offered careers advice and you should take this opportunity to review the qualifications you have and what qualifications you might need for the future.

If you want to study to improve your job prospects or for your own enjoyment there are a number of higher education courses you can do which include:

  • Diplomas
  • Bachelor degrees
  • Foundation degrees
  • Post-graduate degrees

You can find out more about these courses and how to apply on the government’s website

Access to Higher Education

If you joined the military after leaving school and without certain GCSEs or A-Levels you may not be eligible for a degree level course.

The Access to High Education Diploma is a nationally-recognised Level 3 qualification which is designed to prepare adults to study in higher education. Access to courses is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can study at a college or with a training provider, or at home through distance-learning.

You can find more information through Access to Higher Education.

Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC)

If you are concerned about paying for a degree course then you should check whether you are eligible for funding through the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) scheme.

The aim of the ELC scheme is to provide funding support to service personnel who wish to pursue academic or vocational qualifications through higher education. The scheme applies to those who have left service. If you are eligible to claim funding you will have up to five years after you leave service in which to apply.

You can find out whether you are eligible and how to apply through the Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Service.

Sources of advice and support

You can find information about applying for higher education on the UCAS website.

You can find information on funding for training/qualifications through Quest.

The following charities can assist with funding:

Other help available

We’re here to help you.

Want to talk to one of our experienced lawyers? We can call when it suits you for a no-obligation, strictly confidential chat.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser.

This site (and many others) provides a limited experience on unsupported browsers and not all functionality will work correctly or look its best.