What to do if you’re at risk of being homeless | Bolt Burdon Kemp What to do if you’re at risk of being homeless | Bolt Burdon Kemp

Find lawyer icon
Find your Lawyer

Free call back
Contact us
Round the clock support
Won't shy away from difficult cases
Committed to swiftly progressing claims

What to do if you’re at risk of being homeless

Back to Military Claims Insights

If you are leaving the forces and are concerned about where you are going to live then you should contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office.

You may be dealing with a number of issues that can make it more difficult to find housing for example if you are unable to work and have concerns about affording rent, or if you are struggling with a mental health issue or the breakdown of a relationship.

If, for whatever reason, you have been unable to get advice while you are serving and have not been able to find somewhere to live then you should contact your local council to find out what your housing options are.

In England, your council must help if you’re legally homeless or will become homeless within the next 8 weeks.

You may be legally homeless if:

  • You’ve no legal right to live in accommodation anywhere in the world;
  • You cannot get into your home, for example if your landlord has locked you out;
  • It’s not reasonable to stay in your home, for example if you’re at risk of violence or abuse;
  • You’re forced to live apart from your family or people you normally live with because there’s no suitable accommodation for you;
  • You’re living in very poor conditions such as overcrowding.

You can find more information on the government’s website including advice for those living in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are different types of support your council could offer you. They may offer you advice, emergency housing, support to find longer-term housing or help so you can stay in your home.

A local authority must consider whether anyone applying for housing who was a member of the armed forces is vulnerable as a result of their military service and therefore they should be considered a priority need when it comes to allocating housing.

You can find further advice and support from Shelter.

Charities that can help

have a network of volunteers who provide welfare services for veterans across the country. You can contact them using this link.

Stoll is a veteran’s charity and housing association that provides housing and access to services that are aimed at preventing homelessness.

Veterans Lifeline is a charity offering direct practical help to veterans who have fallen on hard times and need help with issues as housing and finding work.

Other help available

We’re here to help you.

Want to talk to one of our experienced lawyers? We can call when it suits you for a no-obligation, strictly confidential chat.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser.

This site (and many others) provides a limited experience on unsupported browsers and not all functionality will work correctly or look its best.