Client of Bolt Burdon Kemp featured in Evening Standard

June 9, 2010
Bolt Burdon Kemp logo

On 7th June 2010 one of BBK’s personal injury clients, Stephanie Davies-Crowley, had her case featured in the London Evening Standard as part of a campaign currently being run by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) to get the hairdressing industry regulated. The client suffered a severe allergic reaction to chemicals in a dye which was used on her hair without a patch test being carried out first. She went into toxic shock, and her face swelled up and her hair started falling out. The case remains ongoing. The article appears below:

Bride-to-be sues hair salon that ‘burnt her scalp with chemicals’

A London woman is taking legal action against a hair salon after suffering severe burns which put her in hospital days before her wedding.

Stephanie Davies-Crowley, 37, of Tottenham, says she suffered toxic shock after an inexperienced assistant put a mixture of chemicals on her hair that burned her scalp.

The office manager told how she was so severely injured she had to go from the salon in Hertfordshire to Homerton Hospital — and from there to her wedding. She had to wear a wig to cover up patches where her hair fell out. Figures show that lawyers have dealt with 34 salon-related injury cases in the capital over the past 12 months. The total across the country is 338 in a year.

The findings are based on a survey by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers which is launching a campaign to get hairdressers regulated.

Ms Davies-Crowley, who married husband Luke last August, is bringing a civil action against the salon which treated her, La Belle Hair Studio in Hitchin.

She claims it failed to carry out a patch test that would have revealed she was allergic to toxins in the dye. She also alleges the hairdresser put the dye on soon after using chemicals to straighten her hair, which made the injuries worse.

Ms Davies-Crowley said: “At one point I went blind and that’s when Luke took me to hospital. They had to drain the fluid from my head and put me on morphine to kill the pain. Women should make a lot more effort to check out the salons they use. There should be regulation.”

Denise Kitchener, the lawyers’ association’s chief executive, said: “We are very concerned about the number of people being injured.”

The salon denied Ms Davies-Crowley’s allegations and said the case was in the hands of its solicitor.


See all posts

Comments are closed.