Family Died in Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Bolt Burdon Kemp Family Died in Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Bolt Burdon Kemp

Find lawyer icon
Find your Lawyer

Free call back
Contact us
Round the clock support
Won't shy away from difficult cases
Committed to swiftly progressing claims

Family Died in Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Police are continuing with their investigations after an elderly couple and their daughter died in their static caravan at the weekend in Tremarle Home Park in Roskear, Camborne of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

John Cook, 90, his wife Audrey, 86 and their daughter Maureen, 46, were discovered on Saturday afternoon. It is thought that the family were using a heater to keep warm overnight.

Police and fire crews are continuing their investigations and the cause of death is still to be determined, but a spokesman for Cornwall Fire and Rescue confirmed carbon monoxide was believed to have caused the deaths. Early reading from experts at the site revealed a potentially lethal level of carbon monoxide. It is also believed that there was no working carbon monoxide alarm fitted in the caravan.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas and is commonly known by the name of silent killer. Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it has no smell, taste or colour. This means you can inhale it without realising.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, such as a room, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases carbon monoxide. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen and the lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

The most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache. Other common symptoms include, dizziness and nausea, vomiting, tiredness and confusion, stomach pain and shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

In the UK, more than 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and 200 people are left seriously ill.

If you have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning please contact one of our experienced personal injury solicitors free on 0808 1596 079.

Some of Our Accreditations

See more of our accreditations

We’re here to help you.

Want to talk to one of our experienced lawyers? We can call when it suits you for a no-obligation, strictly confidential chat.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser.

This site (and many others) provides a limited experience on unsupported browsers and not all functionality will work correctly or look its best.