Part of the Brain Injury Team
Ipek is an Associate solicitor with over 10 years experience in acting for those harmed due to negligence. She joined Bolt Burdon Kemp in 2012, and manages a team specialising in adult brain injury cases. Ipek works closely with Suzanne Trask on complex and high value claims. She is assisted by Kate O’Brien, Katie Lovick-Norley and Josephine Clucas.
Throughout her career, Ipek has represented both children and adults with challenging and high value negligence claims against NHS Trusts, GPs and private doctors. She has also assisted families with Coroner investigations and at inquest hearings, where they have lost loved ones due to substandard medical treatment. Her past experience has lead to her specialising in acting for adults who have suffered brain injuries due to negligence or accidents.
Ipek has particular expertise acting for patients who have suffered strokes, brain tumours, brain abscesses and infections such as encephalitis. Her notable successes include settlements for:
- An adult who suffered brain injury from a cerebral abscess. This was due to the negligence of two GPs, which caused a delay in the diagnosis of The patient required surgery and had a prolonged rehabilitation period, following which he suffered physical, cognitive and psychiatric injuries. The claim was settled against both GPs, despite their initial refusals to accept blame;
- An adult who suffered a stroke whilst in hospital, due to negligent withdrawal of anti-coagulants, leading to significant physical and cognitive injuries. The patient required extensive assistive technology and adaptations to her home and received a full care package. Prior to settlement, a six-figure interim payment was obtained to fund much-needed treatment. Upon settlement, a full apology, as well as further compensation, was received from the NHS Trust;
- An adult who suffered a brain injury when blood was negligently withdrawn, allowing a blood clot to pass through a patent foramen ovale and cause a stroke. Her client suffered loss of earnings, needed new accommodation and required assistance with day to day activities. A full apology, as well as compensation, was received from the NHS Trust;
- Groups of patients who have suffered negligent medical treatment from rogue doctors who have caused harm to multiple patients, including claims against Roderick Irvine – gynaecologist, Ian Paterson – breast surgeon, Roger Bainton – maxillofacial doctor and Simon Lambert – shoulder surgeon.
Ipek seeks to obtain compensation and rehabilitation for her clients as quickly as possible, and works with independent financial advisers to ensure appropriate support and assistance is provided both during and after a case.
Ipek is of dual nationality (Turkish-Belgian) and speaks fluent Turkish.
She supports Headway East London, where she has acted as a mentor to two gentlemen who have suffered brain injuries. She regularly attends fundraising events and support groups in their Hackney branch. She is passionate about raising awareness of sepsis and encephalitis, having previously represented both children and adults who have been affected.
Head strikes in cricket – Cricketworld
- Headway East London
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) – Senior Litigator
- Acquired Brain Injury London member (ABIL)
- UK Acquired Brain Injury Forum (UKABIF)