Part of the Brain Injury Team
Ipek is a Senior Associate Solicitor with over 10 years’ experience in acting for those harmed due to negligence. She joined Bolt Burdon Kemp in 2012, and manages a team specialising in adult brain injury cases. Ipek works closely with Suzanne Trask on complex and high value claims. She is assisted by Kate O’Brien and Katie Lovick-Norley.
Throughout her career, Ipek has represented both children and adults with challenging and high value legal claims for compensation. With medical negligence claims, she has represented her clients against NHS Trusts, GP’s and private doctors. In personal injury cases, she has particular expertise in representing those who have been injured in car accidents. She has also assisted families with Coroner investigations and at inquest hearings, where they have lost loved ones due to substandard medical treatment.
Her past experience has led to her specialising in acting for adults who have suffered brain injuries. She appreciates that a brain injury affects not only the survivor, but also their loved ones. Ipek therefore regularly works with her client’s whole family to offer support and to adopt a collaborative team effort to the legal process.
Ipek has particular expertise acting for patients who have suffered strokes, hypoxic brain injuries and traumatic brain injuries, such as post-concussion syndrome and haemorrhages. Her notable successes include settlements for:
- An adult who suffered brain injury from a cerebral abscess. This was due to the negligence of two GP’s, which caused a delay in the diagnosis of the patient required surgery and had a prolonged rehabilitation period, following which he suffered physical, cognitive and psychiatric injuries. The claim was settled against both GP’s, despite their initial refusals to accept blame;
- An adult who suffered a stroke whilst in hospital, due to negligent withdrawal of anti-coagulants, leading to significant physical and cognitive injuries. The patient required extensive assistive technology and adaptations to her home and received a full care package. Prior to settlement, a six-figure interim payment was obtained to fund much-needed treatment. Upon settlement, a full apology, as well as further compensation, was received from the NHS Trust;
- An adult who suffered a brain injury when blood was negligently withdrawn, allowing a blood clot to pass through a patent foramen ovale and cause a stroke. Her client suffered loss of earnings, needed new accommodation and required assistance with day to day activities. A full apology, as well as compensation, was received from the NHS Trust;
- Groups of patients who have suffered negligent medical treatment from rogue doctors who have caused harm to multiple patients, including claims against Roderick Irvine – gynaecologist, Ian Paterson – breast surgeon, Roger Bainton – maxillofacial doctor and Simon Lambert – shoulder surgeon
Ipek seeks to obtain compensation and rehabilitation for her clients as quickly as possible and works with independent financial advisers to ensure appropriate support and assistance is provided both during and after a case.
Ipek is of dual nationality (Turkish-Belgian) and speaks fluent Turkish.
She supports Headway East London, where she acts as a mentor to a gentleman who has suffered a brain injury. She regularly attends fundraising events and support groups in their Hackney branch, and is able to provide pro-bono legal assistance. She is passionate about raising awareness of sepsis and encephalitis, having previously represented both children and adults who have been affected.
Returning to work after a brain injury – People Management
IFAB under pressure to make changes over concussion protocol – The Telegraph
Fatigue After A Brain Injury – Same Difference
Head strikes in cricket – Cricketworld
- Headway East London
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) – Senior Litigator
- Acquired Brain Injury London member (ABIL)
- UK Acquired Brain Injury Forum (UKABIF)
- The Law Society of England & Wales