Jonathan was formerly head of both the injury and abuse teams at Bolt Burdon Kemp and has been a partner with the firm since 2003.
In 2006 Jonathan was named one of the ‘Hot 100’ lawyers of the year by The Lawyer magazine, recognising his campaigning work for survivors of child abuse, work which continues today. He appeared alongside Sir Keir Starmer who was similarly honoured in the same issue! Jonathan went on to represent two claimants in the landmark House of Lords case A v Hoare & others (2008) changing the law to extend the time limits for anyone wishing to bring a child abuse claim. He now has an over-arching role developing and approving the strategy for all personal injury cases handled by the firm.
Legal 500 2021 described Jonathan as ‘one of the leading lawyers for abuse claims’.
Chambers & Partners 2020 says: “Managing partner Jonathan Wheeler “has done and continues to do phenomenal work” for victims of child abuse, as well as maintaining a strong practice in serious injury claims arising from accidents in public places, at work and RTAs. A source praises him as an “incredibly hardworking and very passionate” practitioner.”
In addition to his work at BBK, Jonathan is a Fellow and former President (2015-16) of the influential lobbying organisation, the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. He was awarded honorary life membership when he stepped down from the national executive in 2017. He trains other lawyers, both in-house and externally, and is regularly asked to provide comment on topical issues for the trade press and national media. In 2014/15 he accepted a consultancy role with the BBC, advising on story-lines for a well-known TV soap.
- Vulnerable Witnesses — Setting the Ground Rules – Journal of Personal Injury Law
- Bereaved families deserve representation at inquests– Law Gazette
- Scanning the horizon (and other sea-faring clichés) – PI Brief
- Gauke sets new discount rate at -0.25% – Litigation Futures
- Discount Rate Change Delights & Dismays – New Law Journal
- Change to personal injury rate has pained insurers – The Times
- Something rotten in the court estate – Solicitors Journal
Jonathan has co-authored the third edition of APIL’s Guide to Child Abuse Compensation Claims, the definitive manual for lawyers representing survivors of abuse, due to be published by Lexis Nexis in December 2020.
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) – Fellow and Past-President
- The Law Society of England & Wales – Civil Justice Committee member
- The Law Society of England & Wales – LGBT+ Committee member
- Forum of Complex Injury Solicitors (FOCIS) – Committee member
- Human Rights Lawyers Association – member